We have no heat. The furnace isn’t working and it’s been 16 hours. It is very cold outside, minus 14C or 6F.
I now know the following facts:
- a well-insulated house will lose about 1 degree F an hour while the furnace is off and it is cold outside (I actually thought the house would get cold much, much faster and we would be threatened with freezing to death…okay, I’m not an engineer or a scientist)
- sitting by the fire is comforting when the rest of the house feels very cold
- all the extra blankets stored in the basement do have a purpose
- teenagers get ready faster in the morning when the house is cold
- emergency furnace repair service does not mean they will show up soon
- hot chocolate tastes extra delicious when you are cold
- my husband will find something in common with every person he meets in life, even the furnace repair guy
The furnace guy is here and assured me we will soon have heat again. And I will appreciate it a little more than I did yesterday.