Big One is getting ready to graduate from High School and has picked her university. Before we know it, she will be moving out. I wonder if she’s ready, have I told her everything she needs to know, are there tips we should talk about? About studying, safety, boys, food, laundry, cleaning her dorm room 🙂 , honouring herself, making new friends?
Are you going away to school? What is the best tip you received?
Are you sending a kid away to school? What is a tip you will give them?
For those who moved out on your own long ago, is there one shared with you that you still remember?
Or maybe a tip, a truism, a fact of life, a nugget of wisdom you learned many years later that you wish someone had shared with you when you were starting out on your own?
Here’s my starter list for Big One…
- laundry – when in doubt, cold water
- boys – if they don’t treat you nice, don’t spend time with them
- your room – keep it messy enough to be comfortable, and tidy enough so you can find things easily
- studying – a little every day is always better than saving it up for the night before
- safety – be aware of your surroundings, don’t take stupid chances, know your escape routes for fire, trust your instincts, remember your martial arts moves if required!
- connections – it takes an effort to stay friends with people, and the rewards are awesome
- family – call your mom often, and holidays with family are a given
- food – try to eat well at least one meal each day
- and most importantly, you teach people how to treat you – nobody is able to honour you more than you honour yourself.